Welcome to the UBC Data Access site! This site is intended for anybody, inside or outside UBC, who wants to get access to university data. You may request access to university data for any of the following purposes:
- Supporting UBC administrative functions
- Scholarly research
- Other purposes that are consistent with UBC's mandate
UBC data is overseen by Data Stewards within each functional area. All requests to access to data will be reviewed based on factors such as privacy, security, administrative burden, and alignment with UBC values and priorities. If you are given access to UBC data, you will be required to agree to comply with terms and conditions.
Follow the process below to submit your request for access to UBC data. To avoid delays, please ensure that your submission is complete, clear and consistent.
The Data and Reporting team is available for consultation prior to completing the Data Access Request form. They will advise which data should be documented in the request.
If you have already submitted a request and received approval, you may ask for the same data via Request A Custom Application Report on the UBC Self-Service Portal. You do not need to complete a data access request (DAR) if you already received approval for the same data. In the Detailed Description, make sure you include:
- The previously approved DAR ticket number (INC#)
- What you are requesting
- Assign to: UBCIT - Data & Reporting
Click on a link below for the specific access you require:
API* Access Requests
Use this option to request for access to real-time, case-level data via API.
View the list of STG or Pre-Production APIs (CWL Required) that have to be requested through this form. If you do not see the API you need access to on the list, use the Data Access Request form to request access.
To modify or promote an existing contract:
All Other Data Requests
Use this option to request for access to a time-constrained snapshot of data, learning data, additional Workday data access and request approval to distribute a survey to the wider UBC community.
You may also use this form to request API access for APIs that are not available in the Request API Access form, for any other types of integrations e.g. SSO integrations.
*API is the acronym for Application Programming Interface, which is a software intermediary that allows two applications to exchange information.
- Requestor details, including the name of the faculty, administrative unit, or external entity you are requesting data for
- Purpose for the request
- Duration of access
- Purpose of data usage and data security controls, to confirm your request meets:
- For scholarly research:
- Ethics board approval (you will need to include the Ethics Board Approval number and attachment of the approval)
- For API requests:
- Target system details
- PIA reference # (where applicable). Go to UBC's PIA site for more information.
Refer to FAQs for questions you may have regarding preparation of a Data Access Request.
- You will receive a Service Desk email with a ticket number (INCxxxxxxx) upon submission of the request.
- If you have a CWL account, you can view the request via the View My Records section within the IT Self-Service Portal. You may correspond within the ticket item in the IT Self-Service Portal.
- If you do not have a CWL account, you can correspond by replying to the Service Desk email.
- Your request will go through a review and approval process. Depending on the complexity of the request, turnaround time may vary. Every effort is made to process data requests in a timely manner.
- Upon approval, the fulfillment team will be in touch to provide the requested data in the appropriate format.
If you have any questions related to data access requests and/or the data access process, please contact the Enterprise Data Governance team.